Monday, October 7, 2013

MOH Duty: Finding a Photographer

My bride got married in approx. 4 months.  Yep, from Lt. J (aka her now hubby) getting down on 1 knee, to her walking down the aisle.  She was in her last semester of undergrad and student teaching.  So needless to say, she was a bit stressed.  Within 2 weeks she had church, reception, bridesmaids, dresses, and her dress done.  Which is BEYOND impressive to me.

Anyway, because all of that happened first her budget for a photographer seemed itsy bitsy.  She was looking for a romantic, vintagey style of photographer.  It was only fitting because the reception took place at an old mansion.

So, is your bride stressed out?  Do you have free time on your hands during normal daylight hours (aka 9-5)? Here's a secret: you don't need tons of time, contrary to popular belief.

For about an hour or 2 on one of the days my friend could spare we went over photographers she liked so I got a sense of her style.  What did I do the following week?  I emailed/ called/ facebook messaged each and every one of them.  I found out A) Are they available on her date? B) What was there price range? C) Had they ever photographed a Catholic/ Military wedding before? and finally D) What was there refund agreement.

How did this help my bride you ask?  She didn't get bombarded with a million emails a day, and I was her gate keeper.  I weeded through, the biggest filter was probably if they were available her date.

We started a google doc, I wrote down all their package information and price (regardless if it was over her budget).  Because I at least wanted her to know.  Finally, after what seemed nearly hopeless we found the one.  Bethany Wears was actually referred to me by another photographer who was not available on the day of Em & Lt. J's wedding.

She was sweet and wonderful.  She wasn't intrusive and was truly there to just capture the day.  I'll show you some pictures here, but if you're in the Kansas City area or really want her to shoot your wedding she was awesome!



These were are bridesmaid bouquets, can you believe they came from HyVee (basically a Safeway?!)

It's not a military wedding until you cut cake with a saber and make a funny face. 



I know this isn't something Maid/ Matron's of Honor typically do, but I would definitely consider asking you friend if she'd like your help.  They may want it, but just don't know how to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Anything & Anywhere